This Week’s Features
Another lovely week has brought us yet more blooms and sprouts about town, including the pungent first sprigs of oregano, and the startling intensity of lovage.. But with all these signs of spring, there’s one other that’s not so delightful—the trash that blows across the city like tumbleweeds, once it’s been released from winter’s ice. In honor of Earth Day this Wednesday (tomorrow!), the Herdic House is holding a “trashy hour” event: we’re asking folks to meet at the restaurant to pick up trash bags and gloves between 3:00 and 5:00 pm. Then we’ll disperse and get picking. When everyone returns with the spoils, we’ll celebrate Earth Day (and a cleaner city!) with $3 cocktials on the patio—all of us litter-fighters can enjoy $3 dirty martinis, rhubarb champagnes or daffodils all night long.
Blue Plate Special: Wednesday, April 22
Beaver Run Farm ham loaf and macaroni and cheese
Lizard’s Local menu: Saturday, April 25
Liz’s birthday isn’t until Tuesday, but she’d like to have a chance to celebrate it with everyone, so the party starts on Saturday, with slices of peach custard pie (Liz’s favorite, naturally) for anyone who stops in to wish her many happy returns. And for the menu? It’s as local as we can get it, because, as she often demonstrates, “local tastes better.”
- Local blueberry mint mojitos
- Stinging nettle pizza with housemade ricotta
- Wolf Hollow Farm spinach tossed in a gorgonzola vinaigrette, and topped with a poached Walnut Run Farm egg
- Grilled Misty Mountain Farm delmonicos with romesco and grilled scallion, served over Wolf Hollow Farm polenta
- Peach custard pie, made with last season’s local peaches, of course!