This Week’s Features
Raise a glass to some much needed sunshine! While we can’t really top the news of our past two weeks, we’re happy to toast the seeming end of the rainy May funk that’s been hanging over the region these last weeks. With warmer, sunnier weather on the way, we’re looking forward to some of our early summer favorites: sprightly, delicious cocktails; dishes loaded with fresh herbs and produce from our local farmers (and our own backyard); and long, warm nights on the patio, with plenty of friends old and new. And we’re crossing our fingers and hoping that local strawberries finally make an appearance this week! Keep an eye on our Facebook page, where Hannah will be sure to post an immediate news flash when the fresh strawberry margaritas are queued up at the bar…
Blue Plate Special: Wednesday, May 17
Lasagne stuffed with Cow-A-Hen Farm chicken and lots of local mushrooms, and finished with a dollop of basil, fennel and almond pesto
Every Thursday–Happy Hours: 5-7 pm
Join us at the Herdic bar from 5-7 for $4 house wines and $6 Herdic cocktails from our cocktail list.
Getting our Veggies on: Friday, May 19
There’s been lots of talk from many culinary quarters lately about cutting meat consumption—and while we at the Herdic know that protein is still king here in central PA, we thought we’d take a quick ride on the “vegetable forward” bandwagon that many big city restaurants have been riding. This Friday, we bring you a menu focused on the flavors of late spring, with scarcely a scrap of meat to get in their way. Healthy? Naturally. Delicious? Of course!
- Rhubarb Negroni: rhubarb shrub, campari and Hendrick’s gin with a slice of strawberry
- Vegetable soup au pistou—Marcia’s recipe, with local beans, lots of veggies and a dollop of basil pesto
- Crisp French lentil cakes spiked with wild leeks and scallion and served with housemade yogurt, garden herbs and Katie Meyer’s delicious microgreens
- Housemade ravioli stuffed with local mushroom duxelles, chevre and a bit of prosciutto, served over a spinach and scallion pesto with quick-pickled asparagus
- Rhubarb upside-down cake with a scoop of housemade lemon ice cream
For your out-of-town family needs…
As Garrison Keillor often said, the exiles all come home for the holidays—and that’s as true in our beautiful rural neck of the woods as it surely was in Lake Wobegon. When your expat family and friends come back to enjoy the lovely central PA summer amenities—whether it’s over Memorial Day, Labor Day, or anytime in between—don’t forget that we’d love to welcome them at the Peter Herdic Inn! Perfect for family reunions, weekend getaways or any situation where your house is filled to overflowing—at the Inn, we’re happy to treat your family like our own…